Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Weingut Baumann Oppenheimer Sackträger Riesling Auslese 1975

Older vintages, say pre-1995 are a rarity for me. Having been around wine for only the last 10 years, and serious about it the last six, the wines I know are typically younger wines. I do have a modest cellar, and there is a mish-mash of Bordeaux, Nebbiolo, Burgundies, and others hiding in it, that I look forward to enjoying as they age. I may never have the guts to let any of them go for too long, certainly not 33 years, as was the Riesling I enjoyed last friday. This wine had just recently been shipped to the U.S. from the cellers in Oppenheim where it has been slumbering for the past 30 years or so. Liquid amber in the glass, the nose was primarily of honey, though notes of lanolin and petrol were also present. The taste was of ripe fruits, peach and apricot, with spice, honey and a crystaline acidity that kept everything pure and surprisingly youthful. The flavors lingered for quite some time. Rather astonishing bit of drinking for a 33 year old white wine.

No comments: